Tuesday 2 December 2014

#themisaiwedding : baby steps into wedding planning

Almost 2 months have gone by since the #misai4eva engagement, and judging from the lack of wedding posts, I'm sure whoever's reading this blog can see that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been done with regards to the wedding hahahaha

Eh chill la babe, still got 22 months to go whaaaaaattt. So kancheong spider for what.

Ah ye la, that's exactly what I was thinking!

Until a babe of mine told me that 2016 brides-to-be were already menggelabar tgh nak booking for all the most sought-after vendors in the industry.

And here the boy and I were, just enjoying our newly-coined status macam without a care in the world gitu. We've only just set the wedding month, not even the wedding date, and korang da gi booking eh! Seram pe hahahaha

Okay la, I've got to hand it to you ladies (and gents) for being so well-prepared (and I'm sure most of these brides that I'm talking about are having their weddings in early 2016, which is why bookings would have to be made already), and I know how lega you guys must be feeling after securing all your most-wanted vendors. I know I would be too!

So in an attempt to become more organised, and to kickstart our wedding planning, I finally sat down today (at work, LOL) to perfect my very own wedding excel spreadsheet. HAHA #nakjugak. Belom ke tahap booking-booking la, now plan first. Next year (after we've started saving properly) then can talk.

So now, my plan for the following 3-4 months:

1. SET OUR WEDDING DATE / DAY
Sebab takde gunanya aku plan plan plan nak booking dekni, nak booking dektu, tapi date belom choose. Just set the date first, and after that everything will go smoothly, insyaAllah.

2. DECIDE TO HAVE A 1 OR 2 DAY EVENT
Witnessing some of my friends' weddings highlighted the pros and cons of holding either a 1 day or 2 day event.

1-day
Pros:
- Nikah, sanding all in one day
- Everything will be settled within that 1 day, and there's no need to worry about the next day anymore.
- Less $$$ spent on photography, videography, andaman services, car, etc as services are only needed for that 1 day. Extra charges are usually incurred for 2 day events or extra hours.

Cons:
- May be a bit rushing, especially for the groom's side, as after the nikah, they would need to hurry back to their venue to prepare for the arrival of their guests.
- Planning and execution has to be done to a T; any delay could cause chaos on both sides in terms of arrival of bride/groom at each side, etc.
- Could be tiring.

2-day
Pros:
- After nikah, can relek-relek, and prepare for sanding the next day (if your sanding is the next day).
- If your side's sanding is on the same day, but your guy's side is on the next day, there's not much of a rush to get ready and travel to and fro.
- Your wedding takes up a whole weekend #weddingweekend

Cons:
- Your wedding takes up a whole weekend. Could be tiring, time-consuming, draggy. (But then again, what wedding isn't tiring, right?)
- More $$$ spent on photography, videography, andaman services, car, etc.

3. SET A BUDGET
Budget is so, so important. No money, no talk geng. I've set a blanket budget of about $30k just in case (better to have extra la). I'll be paying for most of my wedding myself, mind you. Catering, andam, decor, photography + videography, invites, car, etc. So this means..........working like a slave again for the next 2 years. Having a budget makes sure I don't over-spend (as I tend to) and that I don't spend on unnecessary items.

4. SET THE NUMBER OF GUESTS
I guess this point also ties in with our budget. Nak buat kecik-kecik intimate cosy wedding with only close friends and family, or nak buat besar-besar grand-grand and jemput everyone including our parents' old neighbours yang tak jumpe since 20 years ago?

In my opinion, budget plays a big role in determining this aspect of our wedding. Sure, if I had an unlimited supply of moolah I would probably buat besar-besar grand-grand and invite 1000 to 2000 people - probably just because I can. Every girl has a dream wedding in mind, and more often than not, for those dream weddings to be turned into reality, high cost is involved.

At the moment, the parentals and I are not really that keen in having a huge wedding due to budget constraints and priorities, so we're thinking... 600 to 700 guests?

For me, I'm quite skeptical about having to work like a slave for 2 years just for that 1 or 2 days of celebration. Money doesn't come easily for me (this has been evident this past year), and I'd rather have a nice cosy, intimate wedding with the people who are important to me rather than to spend unnecessarily on people who are not, and whom I couldn't give a damn about (haha). Harsh truth, but yes.

5. LOOK FOR AN AWESOME MAK ANDAM
So far, I've enquired with as many as ONE mak andam LOL. And that is ISHQ by Nora Zee. But I will be enquiring with others such as Peti Solek & TWB just in case my super fickle self changes my mind. Right now, I'm inching more towards Nora Zee, but in the next 5 months, who knows?

6. GET A GENERAL IDEA OF THE DECOR I WANT
Facebook. Instagram. Blogs. Anywhere I can. Because I should have a general idea of the type of look and feel that I want for my wedding. I don't need to have an exact theme in mind; just a general idea will do. Right now, my general idea is..... FRESH FLOWERS. Haha, tu je. Oh, and tiffany chairs. Accessories. Fairy lights. NO GREEN PLANTS (I can see this at work already lor).

7. LOOK FOR AN AWESOME DECOR COMPANY
Only a number of the decor companies I've surveyed seem to be able to suit my "taste". Others were either too neon, too garish, too green with plants, too bling2, too old-fashioned, etc. One of the decor companies I felt suit my taste was Kasai Sayang, but will also be enquiring with others like Daun Dco, Jentayu, Elly Weddings, Bonito by Bob in the following months.

8. LOOK FOR AN AWESOME CATERER
I simply love Aish Catering's food. Everything else seems to pale in comparison ever since I got hooked onto their absolutely delectable Ayam Masak Merah and Sambal Goreng Pengantin. They served ah-may-zinggg food at our engagement (yes both sides, mine and his) and I honestly believe that my guests' tummies will be well taken care of should I leave the catering to them. So, I'm inching towards them right now. But like I said, I'm fickle. We'll see how I feel again mid-2015.

9. LOOK FOR AN AWESOME PHOTOGRAPHER
This one I have to admit I'm quite particular about. I've shortlisted a few, namely NAF IMGS, Fandy Razak, pink elephant labs. All three very different with very distinct personal styles, so this may be a tough one to decide on (for me at least). Of course must also think about budget la eh.

10. LOOK FOR AN AWESOME VIDEOGRAPHER
Being a semi-perfectionist, if my budget allowed it, I would go for CST Productions cause they. are. amazing.

11. CHOOSE MAK ANDAM / DECOR COMPANY / CATERER / PHOTOGRAPHER / VIDEOGRAPHER
Very important! Must make the right choice. MUST. So lots and lots of research have to be done.

12. SET A TIME PERIOD TO START MAKING APPOINTMENTS / DEPOSITS WITH VENDORS
Right now, the boy and I are geared towards mid-2015. We both feel that we need to get some savings in first before doing anything (of course la). So for this, we'll see how it goes la eh. Kalau rezeki lebih, of course we may bring forward the appointment-setting time frame.

So that's about it la eh. Basically our game plan for the next 3-4 months would be to do lots and lots of research, and make our decisions by mid-2015. In the meantime, a savings game plan would have to concocted and executed as well, but will leave that for another post la.

We have a long journey of planning ahead, and I'm excited! Yes, while some people bemoan having to plan, I am one of those gila people who just LOVE to do it! I go crazy for excel spreadsheets, quotation requests, quotation collations, comparisons, etc. I just hope the boy loves planning as much as I do ah haha!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for adding these twelve useful tips on wedding planning. I will definitely follow them on party venues Houston TX. Can you please add some more points on party planners? Thanks in advance too!

    ReplyDelete