Sunday 1 February 2015

Location Scouting #1: Lagun Sari

Just came back from Lagun Sari's 'Golden Age Wedding Fair' this afternoon, and boy do I feel drained.

Bukan drained pasal ape. Drained pasal stress trying to fend off the wedding planner! Hahaha, but more of that later.

I liked this fair because it was free entry, free lunch and entertainment, goodie bags and a tour of the place, which was good because I had always wanted to survey their different floors but never had the chance to.

So the parentals and I arrived, signed in, sat down and... immediately went to the buffet hahaha

Of course we tried everything!
What did they have for us?

  • Nasi Minyak
  • Ayam Masak Merah
  • Sambal Goreng Gelodok
  • Rendang
  • Mee Hoon Goreng Mamak
  • Roti Jala w/ Chicken Curry
  • Pengat Pisang (dessert)

I have to be honest k. The only things I liked from their menu was their Nasi Minyak and their Ayam Masak Merah. Everything else was just..... =X

The Sambal Goreng Gelodok had too much hati (liver, is it?) in it, the Rendang tasted too much of a certain spice, the Mee Hoon Goreng Mamak tasted like FLOUR, and the Chicken Curry had too much santan or whatever in it.

Disappointing actually.

So after our meal, we waited about 5-10 minutes for someone to attend to us (we understand the consultants are busy with other clients so we didn't mind), and then the GM introduced us to a Cik S.

Now, I'm not going to ruin anyone's rice bowl, and certainly not Cik S's, so I'm not going to mention any full names here (just in case my opinions matter hahaha).

Cik S was nice enough; he asked which of the packages I was interested in, and then went on to explain what would be included in my chosen package. He also included some other things that were not written in the actual list of items, heh heh.

I've blurred out the prices. Kalau nak tahu, text me separately ya?

As you can see, the list is pretty comprehensive. Apart from food and decor, they also provide your berkat, bunga rampai, bunga pahar, sireh dara/junjung, invitations, wedding cake, gubahan trays, DJ (for 500 pax and above), and even half-hourly shuttle buses to and fro Eunos MRT beb!

Cik S even threw in free Nasi Putih, kompang, wedding car, photobooth, and on top of that, CINCIN KAHWIN LA SIA. 1 PAIR LA SIA. GOLD LA SIA.

And all for the price of... $13xxx.

Macam unbelievable eh? I know, right?

So naturally, my parents fell in love la. Especially my dad. Senang, they kata. Tak payah fikir pape.

But I wasn't really convinced, cause so far my impression of them was a) their food sucked, b) the band playing kinda sucked so it pissed me off abit cause tak sedap didengar, c) the decor I saw was not exactly my thing (lots of ruffles, bling-bling and colour scheme tak kena).

The decor on the first floor
Nothing exactly screamed 'DREAM WEDDING' to me, you know?

So I asked Cik S to show me the upstairs rooms, cause I wanted to see what the other rooms' decorations were like before I made a decision.

Cik S advised us to take the room on the topmost floor (3rd). I didn't manage to take a picture of that room as there was an event happening there, so I grabbed some photos from their website.



This floor is honestly not bad. Nice pastel colours, but different la from what I had envisioned.

I BELIEVE the below picture is of the 2nd floor. Once again, taken off their website.


This one in the PICTURE is also not bad. The flowers and pelamin are quite alright, but sadly, when I was there, it was not this decor that I saw. The one I saw was more bling2 and teddy bears, and jewels all over. But, ok la.

So after the short tour, we went back downstairs to view the cards and gubahan trays on display. By the time we reached the invitation part of the display, my dad was SMITTEN.

Everything to him was lawa.
Everything to him was perfect.

And it was at this point that he started telling me to just take it up hahaha.

But I still could NOT make up my mind.

We sat down at the table again, and Cik S started being.... pushy. Sorry, there's no other word for it. He kept saying that everything's already included and that we didn't need to worry about anything anymore, and even asked me straight for my IC so he could sign us up. At one point, he GRABBED my dad's arm (in a friendly manner) to ask for MY DAD's IC.

Pakcik, you scary or what?

My mum sensed my hesitation, and tried to ask for some extra time to mull things over. Ask for a few days, Cik S say cannot. Ask for until the next day, Cik S say cannot. Ask for until later today, ALSO CIK S SAY CANNOT. How lidat, la Cik S?

I cannot, CANNOT make a decision this way. I understand that probably the promotions were only available for that day, but respect la siket Cik that I need time to think it over.

When I told him I needed time to think things over, he retorted, "Buat ape nak fikir2 lagi! Semua da ade da! Takyah fikir2 lagi! Semua cik da kasi untok awak je! IC?" whilst holding out his hand.

Wahlao, pakcik, you will NOT bully me into making a decision eh!

I asked him some questions about wanting fresh flowers as part of my decor and having my own mak andam instead of taking up theirs. He brushed off my wanting fresh flowers with the reason that it's a waste of money to have fresh flowers cause they will die anyway :( He also said that I could of course take up my own mak andam, but reiterates that I shouldn't do that as the mak andam they provide is only $2000, and my own one is a waste of my money. Whatever I want, mesti he say is a waste of money seh.

After a few minutes, I asked him politely if we could have some time to ourselves to think about it first. And luckily, he obliged and went to sit with a makcik and pakcik at another table (who handed him their IC later btw haha!)

So.. after discussion maha discussion with my parents, where I simply could not bring myself to say yes no matter how many times my dad told me to, and tried to persuade me to. He even offered to pay first!

But... no la. When something's not right, it just ain't right. You can feel it.

I'd spent a big chunk of my life doing things I didn't want to just to make the people around me happy, or because people say it's the right choice, and I will not do it again, cause I know the end result is simply regret. No more.

It's my money, it's my wedding. I have every right to want certain things. Things that Lagun Sari cannot give me.

So we left.

And I know that my dad is a bit upset at having to go all the way there only for me to turn it down. I know he thinks I'm passing up an amazing opportunity.

But when it's not right, it's not right. No amount of forcing can make it right. Plus, it's only the first vendor we've looked at leh! Cannot anyhow make decision la.

We did leave with something nice!

They handed us goodie bags and we got to take pictures at their photobooth!



So, according to the sign my dad's holding, in the end we really did come only for the food hahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment